About the university
Location: Tianjin, China
Tianjin University was opened at the end of the 19th century, in 1895. It is one of the oldest universities in China and is still popular with local and international students. The main fields of study here are engineering, humanities, Chinese philology and arts.
The campus is located in Tianjin, just half an hour’s drive from Beijing. This allows students to familiarize themselves with the sights of the northern part of the Middle Kingdom and practice the classical Mandarin dialect, which is as close as possible to the literary language.
University ranking and benefits
Tianjin University is regularly included in the lists of the best educational institutions in the country and ranks 18th in the ranking of the most prestigious institutions of the Celestial Empire. At the same time, the university is actively establishing international contacts, which gives applicants from Kazakhstan a chance to apply for fully scholarship and preferential programs.
The main advantages of local education include:
- Highly qualified teaching staff with extensive experience in working with foreigners.
- Multidisciplinary nature of training: equal attention is paid to both humanitarian and technical disciplines.
- Affordable cost of training programs: payment for 1 semester of a language program starts from 6500 yuan ($ 1030).
- The university diploma is highly regarded in China and abroad (first of all, it concerns engineering and construction specialties).
Many years of experience allows the Institute staff to offer applicants the best price-quality ratio.
Composition and infrastructure
The university belongs to a medium-sized educational institution. Today, the number of students here reaches 20,000. About 4.5 thousand teachers work with students, including candidates and doctors of sciences, holders of national awards, etc.
The campus of the institute is considered a city landmark. In addition to classrooms, there are two libraries, sports facilities (including a tennis court, basketball and football grounds, etc.), a canteen and a cafeteria. The 1.4 square kilometers area is a traditional Chinese park where you can spend your free time during breaks and after classes. Also, the university has 84 scientific and research centers located in the north of the country.
Admission and tuition fees
The tuition fees are as follows:
|Short-term study of Chinese language||420-630 rmb (67-100 $) / week|
|Long-term study of the Chinese language||6500 rmb ($ 1030) / semester|
|Preparation for admission to a bachelor’s or master’s degree||24000 rmb ($ 3805) / year|
|Undergraduate||16600-26000 rmb (2630 $ -4125 $) / year|
|Master’s degree||25000 rmb (3965 $) / year|
|Doctorate||33000 rmb (5235 $) / year|
For admission, applicants must prepare the following documents:
- A copy of your passport.
- A copy of the document on the previous level of education (high school certificate for applicants for language courses, bachelor’s or master’s degree for those who want to study for a master’s or doctoral studies, respectively).
- HSK-4 exam certificate (for admission to the preparatory program, bachelor’s, master’s).
- Letters of recommendation from two teachers (for applicants for master’s and doctoral studies).
Most applicants are also interviewed in Chinese.
Tianjin University offers five financial support options for international students:
- Chinese Government Scholarship.
- Confucius University Scholarship.
- Tanqin City Government Scholarship.
- Tanqin University Scholarship for International Students.
- Special institute scholarship.
More details on the options for obtaining grants, the documents required for this and the application procedure can be found on the official website of the university.
Among the programs offered to foreign applicants are:
- Short-term study of the Chinese language: from 1 week to 1 semester.
- Long-term study of the Chinese language: from 1 semester or more.
- Preparation for admission to a bachelor’s or master’s degree: 1 year.
- Undergraduate: 4 years.
- Master’s degree: 2-3 years.
- Doctorate: 2-3 years.
Among the specialties that representatives of other countries can apply for are:
- Chemical Engineering.
Separately, it is worth noting the master’s programs that are taught in English:
- Computer engineering.
- Urban planning.
- Shipbuilding and Engineering.
For those wishing to conduct any scientific research on the basis of the university, special programs are organized that can be issued upon request.
The current institute includes several specialized colleges that specialize in humanitarian or technical disciplines. Among them are the following schools:
- Chemical Engineering.
- Engineering and scientific management.
- Optical engineering.
- Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering.
- Landscape architecture.
- Thermophysics and Power Engineering.
- Urban planning.
- Electrical engineering.
- Civil engineering.
- Engineering and Applied Science.
Each of the listed areas has dedicated places for foreign students who can study in Chinese or English (depending on the level and specialty).
Students from other countries are allocated places in a comfortable hostel. All buildings are located near the place of the training. The rooms have a separate bathroom, TV and Internet (the cost of use is already included in the price of accommodation). There is a kitchen and laundry room on the floor.
The cost of living depends on the number of people in the room:
- Single – 50 RMB ($ 7.5) / day.
- Double room – 60 yuan ($ 9.5) / day.
At the same time, those who have chosen single occupancy have to pay for utilities and electricity bills separately.
Those who want to live off-campus have the option to rent an apartment in the city. Depending on the number of rooms, this will cost between 1,500 and 3,000 yuan ($ 235 to $ 475).