About the university
Location: Chongqing, China
Chongqing University was opened in 1929. During its existence, the university has come a long way of development and today is one of the largest in the country. It includes three campuses with a total area of 380 hectares. The Institute is constantly developing new versions of educational programs for foreign applicants, establishing international cooperation and improving the technical equipment of the classrooms.
University ranking and benefits
Chongqing University is a member of the “Project 985” and “Project 211” programs, therefore in recent years it has been actively developing and strengthening its positions in the country and in the world.
The main advantages of education at this institute include:
- Original language programs that will help you not only pass the HSK, but also get acquainted with the culture of China.
- Possibility of internships on the basis of foreign partner universities.
- A wide range of undergraduate and graduate specialties.
- A large number of options for financial support for foreigners.
The Institute is located in one of the most distinctive regions of the Celestial Empire. It is here that you can see how ordinary Chinese people live, taste original cuisine and become a participant in traditional festivals and holidays.
Composition and infrastructure
The number of students studying at Chongqing University reaches 70,000, making it one of the largest universities in China. There are also about 5,500 teachers working here, among whom you can find authors of fundamental scientific papers and holders of academic degrees. In this regard, the institute managed to establish active research work.
The university classrooms are equipped in accordance with the latest European standards. There is also a library, dining room, sports grounds and parks on campus, so students can spend their free time in comfort.
Admission and tuition fees
All applicants wishing to study at Chongqing University must be at least 18 years old (in the case of language courses – 16 years old). They are also required not only to provide a diploma of the previous level of education with translation, but also to pass the entrance tests. Applicants for the master’s program will also need to provide an HSK-6 certificate, which confirms their readiness to study in Chinese.
The cost of training is:
- Chinese language courses – 7000 yuan (about $ 1200) per semester, 13000 yuan (about $ 2200) per year.
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities – 14,000 yuan (about $ 2,400) per year.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics (in English) – 16,000 yuan (about $ 2,740) per year.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Science – 16,000 RMB (about $ 2,740) per year.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Cinematography or Arts – 20,000 RMB (about $ 3400) per year.
- Master of Arts in Humanities – 21,000 yuan (about $ 3,600) per year.
- Master’s degree in Economics (in English) – 23,000 yuan (about $ 3900) per year.
- Master’s in business or science – 23,000 yuan (about $ 3900) per year.
- Master’s Degree in Cinematography or Arts – 25,000 RMB (about $ 4,280) per year.
Additionally, you will have to pay 400 yuan (about $ 65) as a registration fee and 150-300 yuan (about $ 25 – $ 50) in the form of payment for educational literature.
The institute is under the special control of the Ministry of Education of China, therefore, it offers several options for state financial support. Among them are scholarships from the Confucius Institute, the Government of China, etc. Applicants for university grants are considered separately. More details about scholarships can be found on the official website of the university.
The Institute has been attracting foreign students to study in the PRC for almost 40 years. Currently, only for bachelors from other countries, 86 programs of various directions are offered.
Training is carried out at several levels:
- Language courses (taking into account preparation for passing HSK), duration – from 1 semester to 2 years.
- Bachelor’s degree (language of instruction – Chinese), duration – 4 years.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics (language of instruction – English), duration – 4 years.
- Master’s degree (language of instruction – Chinese), duration – 3 years.
- Master’s degree in Economics (language of instruction – English), duration – 3 years.
- Doctoral studies (language of instruction – Chinese), duration – 3 years.
The most popular are such specialties as “Law”, “Architecture and Design”, “International Trade and Business”, “Chinese Language”, “Informatics”, “Management”, “Mechanical Engineering”, etc.
Language courses include not only the study of phonetics, vocabulary and grammar of Chinese, but also acquaintance with the unique culture of the country, martial arts, customs and traditions of Chongqing, etc.
Initially, the institute was exclusively engaged in natural sciences and offered training only in technical specialties. Today, the university has 26 divisions that cover various areas of education: from business and linguistics to physics, chemistry and engineering.
Among the faculties functioning at the university, the following can be distinguished:
- Information Science and Technology.
- Economics and Business Administration.
- Arts and Sciences.
- Each of the faculties includes several schools, which are engaged in the professional training of students.
There is a special hostel for foreigners on the campus. Rooms suggest single or double occupancy. Depending on this, the cost of living per month is:
- For a single room – 800 yuan (about $ 135).
- For a double room – 450 yuan (about $ 75).
The rooms are equipped with air conditioning and a private bathroom, where there is a toilet and shower, residents have access to the Internet, telephone and television. The floors have common areas that include a kitchen, laundry room, relaxation room, exercise room, etc. Complex meals can be arranged in university canteens.