About the university
Location: Shenyang, China
Official full name – Shenyang Normal University
Traditional Chinese name – 沈 阳 师范大学
Abbreviated – SYNU or SNU
Shenyang Normal University logo SYNU State University is located in Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, organized by the People’s Government. The university consists of 18 special colleges, where training is conducted in Chinese and English. Therefore, foreign students can get higher education in pedagogy without knowing the Chinese language and passing the obligatory HSK exam. The available colleges and departments offer a total of 47 programs for international and local students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree and 31 for those pursuing a Master’s degree. It is one of the key universities in Liaoning Province and China in general.
SYNU was founded in 1951 under the name of Northeast Pedagogical Institute, which was later renamed the National Shenyang Pedagogical Institute in 1953. At the time, he was one of the first colleges in northeastern China. The Shenyang Pedagogical University of the highest category was established by successfully merging the Shenyang Pedagogical Institute and the unified Liaoning Institute of Education in 2002.
University ranking and benefits
SNU National University occupies high rankings not only in its country, but also in Asia. The institution is included in the TOP-200 best institutions in the field of pedagogy. During its existence, SNU has trained more than 70 thousand teachers, many of whom began their teaching activities in different countries of the world.
The main advantages of SYNU University:
- active cooperation with leading educational institutions in other countries;
- participation in the PROJECT 211 program;
- participation in development and research at the country level.
The institution has the following structures of global importance:
- 2 leading research bases at the national level;
- 16 leading provincial research bases;
- 2 provincial bases of key state disciplines of the highest rank;
- 8 leading laboratories;
- 2 exemplary pedagogical centers;
- 1 social educational base for the training of special personnel;
- 1 experimental base for the development of innovative specialists;
- 4 innovative groups;
- 6 special predominant key disciplines of world importance;
- 4 leading specialties at the state level;
- 9 specialties at the provincial level;
- 6 educational centers at the provincial level.
University composition and infrastructure
In total, SNU includes 33 institutes and 26 special colleges of various directions, as well as 14 training departments and centers, various laboratories and auxiliary structural units.
The full staff of SYNU University:
- 1,650 teachers, of which more than 40% are specialized specialists, doctors of sciences, professors;
- 25,300 students, including international students from all over the world.
The campus of SNU covers an area of about 2,000 m2. On this territory, there are educational centers and buildings of dozens of institutes, colleges, more than 100 laboratories, as well as hostels, extensive modern libraries (total number of publications 1.9 million), cafes, canteens, many entertainment centers and sports grounds.
Admission and tuition fees
The standard admission to the SYNU institution is carried out on the general basis provided by the Ministry of Education of the PRC. Registration code at Shenyang Normal University is 10166. When submitting documents, students must provide an IELTS certificate (at least 6.5 points) for admission to training with teaching in English or an HSK certificate (from level 4 and above) when studying in Chinese.
Annual tuition fees at SYNU in RMB:
- registration mandatory fee – 450 RMB;
- medical insurance – 670 RMB;
- Bachelor’s degree – from 14,000 to 18,000 RMB;
- Master’s degree – from 18,000 to 25,000 RMB;
- Doctorate degree – 27,000 to 33,000 RMB.
The application deadline for self-funded international students is June 30 of each year. The application deadline for students studying in Chinese is – Spring semester: December 31, Fall semester: June 30 each year.
Due to the fact that the university has two significant Confucius Institutes, students have the right to receive education under grants from the Chinese government and grants from the Confucius Institute. Currently, more than 720 foreign students from 55 countries are studying at the university. Also, all successful students are eligible for a standard scholarship and an increased scholarship from the government.
- Pedagogical department
- Polytechnic sciences
Possibility of training in English:
- International Pedagogical Center
- School of preschool and primary education,
- School of International Trade
- Foreign language School
- College of Software
- Center for Dramatic Arts
- College of Jurisprudence
- Sociological Institute
- Institute of Pedagogical Science
- College of Pedagogical Development
- School of Pedagogical Engineering
- Faculty of Physical Education Science
- Literary College
- Art and design faculty
- College of Management
- School of Mathematics and Systems Science
- School of Physical Science and Technology
- Center for Chemical and Life Science
- Tourism Management Center
- Institute of Professional Technology
Study in Chinese only:
- Institute of economics and management
- Humanitarian Resource Management Institute
- Center for Chinese Literature and Culture
- Institute of Calligraphic Education
- Faculty of Paleontology
- Institute of amphibians and reptiles
- Art center
- Institute of Theater Arts
- Institute of Folk Arts of Northern China
International students who are admitted to SYNU have full right to reside on campus. For nonresident students, student dormitories are provided, built according to the type of apartments. The cost of living is RMB 50 per person per night in a double room, and RMB 100 per night in a single room. In addition to the presence of a student canteen, teachers arrange gastronomic days for students with a presentation of national dishes.