About the university
Location: Shanghai, China
East China University of Science and Technology (ECUST), founded in 1952 and recognized as the first higher education institution specializing in chemical engineering. In June 1996, East China University of Science and Technology was included in the “211” project. In 2008, according to the results of accreditation by the Ministry of Education of China, the university received permission to build an innovative platform under the 985 project.
University ranking and benefits
- US News Rating (2017)
- World’s Best Universities 530
- Top 33 Universities in China
- QS World University Rankings (2018) 551-600
Already 85,000 students have graduated from ECUST since its inception. Among them, nine are members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Academy of Engineering. Many of them occupy leading positions at various levels of government. Some have become prominent and well-known specialists in other higher educational institutions, research institutes and laboratories, large corporations.
University composition and infrastructure
On an area of about 2 million sq. M. there are 3 campuses of East China University of Science and Technology.
The number of teachers is more than 3500 people, including 30% of the members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering, and a thousand professors and associate professors also work here. The total number of students exceeds 25,000 people, of which about 2,000 are foreign students from more than 80 countries of the world.
Long-term academic relationships have been established with more than 60 universities, businesses, and research institutes around the world. The following degrees are offered in cooperation with partner universities:
- MBA program with the University of Canberra, Australia
- International Business Program with University of Wollongong, Australia
- Chemical Engineering and Technology Program with Fachhochschule Lübeck, Germany
- Project Management Program with the University of Management and Technology, USA
Admission and tuition fees
The duration of study in a bachelor’s degree is 4 years, the language of instruction is Chinese, the cost is from 20,000 RMB per year. Popular undergraduate majors are chemical engineering and technology, bioengineering, biological technology, pharmaceutical engineering, and pharmacy.
The duration of study in the magistracy is 2.5 – 3 years, the language of instruction is Chinese, the cost is from 26,000 RMB per year.
The duration of doctoral studies is 3 years, the language of instruction is only English, training in other doctoral programs is estimated to cost 42,000 yuan per year, excluding applied economics, which costs 35,000 yuan per year.
ECUST provides various scholarships for international students:
- China Government Scholarship
- Shanghai Government Scholarship
- ECUST President Scholarship for Diploma Programs
- ECUST President Scholarship for Language Programs
Currently, the university has 54 specialties for undergraduate studies, has the right to award master’s degrees in 121 programs, doctoral degrees in 43 programs. It also offers Chinese language learning programs lasting from 2 weeks to 2 years, costing from 1500 RMB.
University departments are organized in 15 academic schools:
- School of Chemical Engineering
- School of Biotechnology
- School of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering
- Pharmaceutical School
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Informatics and Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering and Energy
- School of Resource and Environmental Engineering
- scientific school
- business school
- School of Social and Public Administration
- School of Arts, Design, Media
- Foreign language School
- law school
- School of Sports Science and Technology
For accommodation of students, a choice of one of 4 hostels located on the campus is offered. There are options for single and double occupancy. The cost of living is from 50 RMB to 110 RMB per day.