About the university
Location: Hangzhou, China
Official name – Zhejiang University
Traditional Chinese name – 浙江 大学
Abbreviated – ZJU
Zhejiang University is located in the famous historical and cultural center of Zhejiang Province, Hangzhou.
The famous English scientist Joseph Needham called Zhejiang University “East Cambridge”.
Teaching is carried out in 11 areas: philosophy, economics, law, pedagogy, literature, history, neo-Confucianism, technical sciences, agronomy, medicine, management.
Zhejiang University has 115 specialties for bachelors, 325 for graduate students and 279 for doctors.
Now the university has 13 state laboratories, 5 state engineering research centers.
The Zhejiang University Library is one of the largest comprehensive libraries in China, with over 6 million books.
The university has Chinese language courses (short term and long term).
ZJU State University is located in China’s Zhejiang Province (Hangzhou). The educational institution is a comprehensive Chinese research university that has successfully reached the global level through excellence in student learning. The student campus is presented in the form of a park, which is surrounded by lush greenery.
The predecessor of ZJU was Qiushi College, founded back in 1897 by Guangxu. Thus, the modern university is the oldest elite educational institution in the PRC, and at the same time the most prestigious in Asia. During its existence, the university has repeatedly undergone restructuring, as a result of which some faculties have become independent educational institutions. With the successful merger of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou University, Zhejiang Agricultural University and Zhejiang Medical University, a new generation of Zhejiang University has emerged.
University ranking and benefits
ZJU is a comprehensive research and development center with distinctive characteristics and great influence not only at home but also abroad. The institution pays special attention to research on academic and technological innovation and has created a number of open and international high-profile academic platforms, bringing together academics and high-level research groups from a variety of disciplines. In recent years, major scientific research and many important discoveries have been made in the fields of science and technology, humanities and social sciences. ZJU actively responds to the complex needs of national and regional strategies and strives to create sources of high-level innovation in line with global standards. The university focuses on research and scientific and technological innovation.
Benefits of ZJU University:
- active participation in development and research on a global scale;
- participation in the special program PROJECT 211;
- direct collaboration with national laboratories and research centers.
According to data published by ESI, as of January 2016, 18 disciplines of the university entered the 1% of the best educational institutions in the world, taking 2nd place in national universities and 7 leading disciplines entered the top 100 best in the world, 4 disciplines entered the top 50 …
The university library deserves special attention, which is one of the largest complex library systems in China and has more than 7 million publications of a diverse nature.
University composition and infrastructure
Zhejiang University has 7 independent campuses, each under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Education and the Government of China. Now the ZJU has 14 national-level government laboratories, 5 government engineering research centers of a strategic nature.
The full composition of the ZJU University:
- 8657 service personnel;
- 3,600 teachers, including 1,552 professors and other high-ranking officials, among the teachers – 16 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 19 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, 85 national scientists;
- 45,900 students, of which more than 15% are foreigners (only 5,800 students are in full-time education).
There are 7 academic departments and 36 colleges (departments) at the university. In the first level disciplines, there are 14 national core disciplines and 21 national core disciplines in the second level disciplines. In total, the university offers 112 specialties for bachelors, 317 for graduate students and 283 for doctors, many of which are taught in English.
Admission and tuition fees
Traditional admission to the ZJU institution is made on the general basis provided for by the legislation of China. The average cost of studying at ZJU ranges from 25,000 to 45,000 RMB per year. There will be a separate registration fee of 600 RMB one-time. Also, additional payment is made for materials required for training.
Every foreign student who has a high complex subject score is entitled to preferential education, that is, to receive legislative grants. In addition, each student can apply for several types of scholarships, depending on their comprehensive academic performance, namely:
- Chinese government scholarship
- Zhejiang University Scholarship
- Confucius Institute Scholarship
- Science and Technology Management
- Constitutional and administrative law
- Chemistry (Applied Chemistry, Chemical Engineering)
- Mechanical engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Energy and technology
- Thermophysics (Theoretical Physics, Condensed Matter Physics)
- Electrical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Optical Engineering
- Communication and information systems
- Science and Engineering Management
- Biomedical Engineering (Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases, Pediatrics, Surgery (extraordinary), Oncology)
- Use of agricultural resources, horticulture, plant protection (Engineering mechanization of agriculture, Genetic cultivation of crops, Special economic livestock)
ZJU University offers 7 global faculty-departments, in which several specialized schools and colleges are concentrated:
- Department of Humanities
- Foreign language School
- Institute of culture
- International Institute of Culture and Media
- Department of Social Sciences
- College of Education
- School of Economics
- Center for Public Administration
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Department of Math
- Department of Psychology
- School of Physics and Chemistry
- Faculty of Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- Institute of Materials Science and Engineering
- Marine College
- School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Civil Engineering Institute
- Department of Informatics
- Photovoltaic Technical Information Center
- College of Software
- Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Science Instruments
- Center for Computer Science and Technology
- Department of Agricultural Life Sciences and Environment
- College of Biosystems Engineering and Food Science
- College of Environment and Resources
- College of Agriculture and Biotechnology
- School of Animal Science
- Ministry of Medicine
- College of Pharmacy
- Basic Medical College
- Center for Clinical Medicine
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Comprehensive Medicine
2.Copy of passport + photo (3.5 * 4.5)
3.Confirmation of payment of 400 RMB (or $ 50) – for considering you as a candidate
There are three levels of study: beginner, intermediate and advanced. In addition, students can choose from several disciplines, such as Taichi, Kungfu, Calligraphy, Drawing, Hieroglyphic Studies, Chinese Culture, Chinese History, and Chinese Economics.
ZJU has different types of international student residences with different conditions and specifications. The standard of accommodation for international students is a double or quadruple room with all the necessary furniture.
- Short-term accommodation – 70-80 RMB per person per day;
- Long term accommodation – 50-60 RMB per person per night.
Apart from this, students can eat canteens. The students themselves estimate that the daily cost of decent food ranges from 15 to 40 yuan.
Official website: zju.edu.cn