About the university
Location: Kunming, China
Yunnan Normal University is one of the oldest educational institutions in China. It accepted its first applicants in 1938 and since then has held leading positions among the institutions of Kunming and the entire Yunnan province. To date, the university is supported by the local government and the Ministry of Education of the PRC. It is one of a hundred educational institutions that are developing under the program of the National Quality Assurance Project.
The main building, where foreign students study, is located in the regional center of Kunming. In addition, Yunnan Normal University has several branches.
University ranking and benefits
The university is included in the 5% of the most popular educational institutions in the world. In China, it also occupies a leading position and is listed in the list of one hundred best universities in the Middle Kingdom. This makes students come here not only from Yunnan, but also from other regions and even states.
The main benefits of training here include:
- The classic approach to vocational education: graduates leave the university with a guaranteed high level of knowledge and practical experience in their specialty.
- Experienced teaching staff.
- A large number of specialties: both pedagogical and humanitarian and natural sciences.
- Developed research work in which all students take part.
The university is actively developing in the direction of international cooperation and does everything to make foreign students feel comfortable.
Composition and infrastructure
Despite the fact that the institute has been in operation for just under a hundred years, it is average by Chinese standards, with about 20,000 students. However, 26 scientific schools and more than 100 research centers throughout the region have been opened especially for them. The University publishes its own journals related to the scientific activities of teachers and students in the field of natural, social and humanitarian sciences.
The university has a huge library, which includes more than three million books. For the convenience of students, an electronic catalog has been created that is easy to use. Also, students have their own campus with sports facilities, shops, a canteen, etc.
Admission and tuition fees
All applicants go through entrance tests. They are admitted to persons who have reached the age of majority and graduated from high school. The cost of the program depends on the educational level (bachelor’s, master’s, language courses, etc.) and specialty.
Yunnan Normal University is one of the universities selected by the Government of the PRC for the development of international student exchange programs. In this regard, Kazakh applicants can apply for both university and state funding upon admission. The Institute strives to provide scholarships to the maximum number of foreign students.
The following programs are available for applicants from other countries:
- “Chinese language and culture”: available both in the form of language courses and at the undergraduate level (4 years). It includes the study of not only linguistics and literature, but also calligraphy, the cultural identity of China, etc.
- Standard Bachelor’s degree (4 years): among the specialties “Literature and Linguistics”, “History”, “Pedagogy”, “Marketing”, “Finance and Credit”, “Design”, “Biotechnology”, “Physical Education”, etc.
- Standard Master’s Degree (3 years): includes programs from 18 different scientific schools, both humanitarian and natural science.
Also, Yunnan Normal University offers a unique inclusive program for international students, during which they study together with Chinese youth.
Originally created as a teacher’s college, today the university has grown to an incredible scale and includes many faculties of various academic orientations. Among them:
- Political science.
- The theory of Marxism.
- Physical education.
- Chinese language and literature.
- Foreign languages and literature.
This list can be continued. Thus, the university covers almost all areas of knowledge that are taught in higher education institutions.
The faculty includes about 2,200 people, among whom there are practitioners in numerous fields of scientific activity and laureates of national awards.
International students are encouraged to settle on the university campus. The territory is equipped with everything you need and covers an area of over 3000 sq. meters. The cost of accommodation depends on the type of room and starts at $ 470 per year. Specific information about the rooms can be obtained on request directly from the institute.