About the university
Location: Urumqi, China
Officially named Xinjiang Normal University began operations in 1978. Over the past 40 years, it has become a multidisciplinary educational institution that is actively developing in the field of exchange of cultural experience. In addition to training future teachers, other profiles of educational activities have appeared.
The special attention of the international college is directed to the CIS countries, including Kazakhstan. Students from the Commonwealth countries are especially welcomed here, and they also have more chances to receive scholarship programs from the Confucius Institute.
University ranking and benefits
The Institute belongs to the developing educational institutions of China. Located in Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Republic, it is one of the main centers of local education.
The main advantages of studying at a university include:
- A wide range of philological and humanitarian specialties.
- A chance to participate in active research work (including studying the characteristics of the Central Asian region).
- Low cost of study programs (both language and bachelor’s and master’s degrees).
- Internship options for large local companies.
- The opportunity to live and receive education in one of the most distinctive regions of China.
University managers do their best to ensure that foreign students feel comfortable and receive maximum useful information.
Composition and infrastructure
The institute is considered to be of medium size. About 28,000 people study here, of which about 1,000 are foreign citizens. Lectures and seminars are conducted by over 2000 teachers, including professors and holders of other academic degrees.
The campus of the university consists of three parts and covers a total of 212 hectares. There are educational buildings and libraries, stadiums and sports facilities, as well as dormitories and canteens for students.
Admission and tuition fees
The following requirements are imposed on foreign applicants:
- The current level of education is secondary school and above.
- Certificate of the HSK-4 exam (for admission to all specialties, except for language courses and bachelor’s degree in Chinese).
- HSK-5 exam certificate (for admission to the magistracy).
- Work experience in the specialty for at least 5 years (for admission to the magistracy).
For applicants for scholarship programs, additional documents may be required.
The cost of training is about $ 4000 per year, taking into account accommodation on the university campus.
The university offers several options for scholarships for international students, including special offers for representatives of Central Asia. Financial support is also provided to those who enroll in language courses, the Chinese Confucius Institute is responsible for this.
Today, applicants from other countries can apply for several educational programs:
- Business Chinese (BSc).
- Translator of Chinese and Russian languages (bachelor’s degree).
- Religious studies.
- Regional economy.
- International politics.
- Principles and methods of teaching.
- Language and Literature of National Minorities of China.
- Linguistics and Applied Linguistics.
- Tourism management.
Today, the university includes 11 institutes, each of which conducts educational activities in certain areas:
- political science;
- physical education;
The Institute for International Cultural Exchange, which specializes in teaching Chinese as a foreign language and working with students from abroad, stands out separately.
Dormitories with all conveniences are specially equipped for foreign students. We offer single, double, triple or quadruple accommodation in rooms with a bathroom and shower on the floor, equipped with Internet access and telephone. Chinese, European and Muslim canteens, laundry, shops, etc. are specially equipped for campus residents on the campus.