About the university
Location: Urumqi, China
Xinjiang Agricultural University (international name – Xinjiang Agricultural University) is a specialized higher educational institution located in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. This area is one of the most distinctive and unusual in all of China.
The first students appeared at the institute in 1924. Since that time, the university has retained its leading positions in the training of agricultural workers.
University ranking and benefits
Since its inception, the institute has been at the forefront of the sector for training agricultural workers. For example, it is here that desertification control specialists, extremely important people in modern Chinese agriculture, are taught. In addition, some disciplines and programs (for example, the Uyghur language) can be taken only in this university.
The main advantages of studying at the Xinjiang Agricultural University are:
- Responsible approach to education: students work with experienced teachers and receive both theoretical and practical knowledge.
- Variety of language and cultural programs.
- The opportunity to study not only for a bachelor’s degree, but also for a specialty.
- Active implementation of exchange programs, which allows you to study at partner institutions around the world.
- Especially close ties with Kazakh universities: the institute even has a program for studying the Kazakh language for foreigners.
The institute will be a suitable choice for those who want to get an inexpensive education abroad. At the same time, a university diploma will help to find a real job in China after graduation.
Composition and infrastructure
There are about 800 teachers per 20,000 university students. Since the institute has an agricultural focus, students spend most of their time in gardens, greenhouses and green spaces. The university is rightfully proud of a huge landscaped area.
The main campus of the university is located in the city of Urumqi, the center of the Xinjiang Uygur AR. There are many attractions related to the culture and history of the local population. In addition to educational buildings, the territory of the university includes sports facilities, a library, and a canteen. Also on the basis of the institute there are several research centers where the work of teachers and students is carried out.
Admission and tuition fees
For admission to the university, the following documents are required:
- Application of the established form.
- Brief biography of the applicant.
- Copy of the passport.
- 4 photos (on a white background).
- A copy of the diploma from the last place of study (for students of language programs).
- A copy of the diploma with a translation and a transcript of the points received (for applicants for a place in undergraduate, graduate and doctoral studies).
- HSK exam certificate (for applicants for a place in undergraduate, graduate and doctoral studies).
- A letter of recommendation from a university teacher (for those applying for a place in master’s and doctoral studies).
The cost of training is:
- Short-term language courses: 2 weeks – 2000 yuan ($ 315), 4 weeks – 4000 yuan ($ 630), 2 months – 4500 yuan ($ 715), 3 months – 5500 yuan ($ 870).
- Long-term language courses (any language) – 12,150 yuan per year.
- Undergraduate – 15,000 yuan ($ 2380) per year.
- Specialty – 14,000 yuan ($ 2,220) per year.
- Master’s degree – 17,000 yuan ($ 2,695) per year.
- Doctorate – 21,000 yuan ($ 3330) per year.
The registration fee, the cost of obtaining a visa, medical insurance, accommodation in a hostel are additionally paid.
The university offers applicants from abroad several options for scholarships, both government and their own. The main requirements for applicants are good academic performance and knowledge of the Chinese language (HSK score – at least 8). In more detail about the types of financial support and the methods of obtaining it is described on the official portal of the university.
Citizens of other countries are given the opportunity to study in one of the following programs:
- Short term language program (Chinese) – 2 to 4 weeks.
- Study of the Chinese language and culture (including preparation for passing the HSK) – 1 year.
- Study of the Uyghur language and culture – 1 year.
- Study of the Kazakh language and culture – 1 year.
- Bachelor’s degree – 4 years.
- Specialty – 5 years.
- Master’s degree – 3 years.
- Doctorate – 3 years.
Among the specialties for the last three levels, mention should be made of:
- International economics and trade.
- Construction and power engineering.
- Agricultural mechanization and automation.
- Conservation of soils and combating desertification.
- Veterinary medicine.
- Business management.
- English language.
All agricultural programs include compulsory internship at the leading enterprises in the region in the agricultural sector.
Currently, training is carried out in the main areas:
- “The science”.
- “Mechanical Engineering”.
Each of them includes from two to ten qualifications, mainly associated with an agricultural and economic orientation. There are 18 separate schools on the territory of the institute, each of which trains highly specialized specialists.
International students can live on campus. The cost of accommodation in a hostel is:
- Double room (own bathroom, shared kitchen and laundry) – 2100 rmb ($ 330) per semester.
- Apartment-type room (bedrooms, common living room, household appliances and other amenities) – 1200 rmb (190 $) per month.
The latter accommodation option allows one or several people to live at once. Thus, you can significantly save on a hostel by renting an apartment with your neighbors.