About the university
Location: Wuhan, China
Wuhan University, or Wuhan University (WHU), is considered one of the oldest Western-style universities in China. Located in the provincial capital of Hubei, it offers the opportunity to live and study in the most populous city in the central region.
Since its foundation in 1893, the institute has held a high level of training in engineering, humanities and arts. Currently, more than 100 educational programs for foreigners have been developed here at the level from language courses to doctoral studies.
The Wuhan University campus is famous for its huge and landscaped area. Here, for example, there are themed cherry blossom alleys, which are celebrated every spring, small artificial reservoirs, a lake, etc.
University ranking and benefits
For many applicants, admission to Wuhan University is a golden dream. This is not surprising, because the educational institution annually enters the top twenty of the best universities in China and is consistently in the ranking of 5% of the most demanded institutions in the world. It is also included in the list of 300 universities with the highest level of teaching and therefore enjoys well-deserved respect from the largest employers.
Other benefits of Wuhan University for international students include:
- Low cost of training (the price of a bachelor’s program is from $ 2500 per year).
- The possibility of obtaining financial support.
- Assistance in employment after graduation.
- Well-maintained campus and comfortable accommodation options.
- The presence of a large number of exchange programs with other universities around the world.
Wuhan University provides academic education services that are the first step in building a successful career and professional growth.
Composition and infrastructure
Even according to Chinese views, the institute belongs to large educational institutions. More than 40,000 students study here, with 7% of them being citizens of other states. There are also foreigners among the 3,500 teachers.
On campus, you can find not only a library, a reading room and sports grounds with simulators, but also three full-fledged stadiums, a post office, recreational areas, numerous shops and cafeterias. The developed infrastructure of the university makes it look like a city within a city.
Admission and tuition fees
The following requirements are imposed on those entering the university:
|Level of education||Age||Certificate of health status||Documents|
|Language courses||from 16 years old||+||
|Undergraduate||18 – 30 years old||+||
|Master’s degree||up to 40 years||+||
The tuition fees for foreigners are as follows:
- Language program: 16,500 yuan ($ 2,690) per year.
- Undergraduate: from 16,500 to 2900 yuan (from $ 2690 to $ 4600) per year.
- Master’s degree: from 16,500 to 31,200 yuan (from $ 2690 to $ 4950) per year.
Traditionally, the most expensive are medical and economic specialties. Registration fee, textbooks and accommodation in a hostel are paid separately.
Since the university belongs to the state and actively attracts foreigners to the number of students, applicants from other countries are offered several types of grants at once. Among them are both large and well-known scholarships (the Government of the PRC, the Confucius Institute, etc.), and their own university financial assistance programs. For more information, visit the Wuhan University website.
International applicants can apply for several types of programs:
- Study of the Chinese language, duration – from 1 semester to 1 year.
- Bachelor’s degree, duration – from 4 to 5 years (depending on the specialty).
- Master’s degree, duration – from 2 to 3 years (depending on the specialty).
The main educational areas of bachelor’s and master’s degrees are humanitarian, scientific and technical (including engineering) and medical.
Those interested can also continue their studies in the magistracy, preparing a scientific research on the basis of one of the five university centers.
Due to its large size, the university includes more than 20 separate schools and colleges, including a medical faculty with its own hospitals. Among the schools are the following:
- Chinese language and literature.
- Economics and management.
- The laws.
- International education.
- Physics and technology.
- Chemistry and Molecular Research.
- Geodesy and Geomatics.
- Almost each of the colleges has its own research center, where experiments and tests are carried out related to the
- joint scientific work of students and teachers.
International students have two accommodation options:
- Single in a two-room apartment – 1200 RMB ($ 190) per month.
- Single in a four-room apartment – 900 yuan ($ 140) per month.
The apartment has air conditioning and heating systems, bathroom, TV, telephone and internet connection.