About the university
Location: Hong Kong, China
(official full name – The Open University of Hong Kong, in Chinese – 香港 公開 大學, abbreviated – OUHK and OpenU) is an international institution for specialized training in open and distance direction. It is here that degrees are awarded. A flexible system of education and professional development allows students to study remotely without interrupting their work. Therefore, here you can meet students from all over the world. OUHK University regularly participates in various developments, and receives awards for scientific achievements.
The OUHK Institute was founded in 1989 as an open training institute, which allowed workers and employees to obtain higher education or improve their qualifications in the existing specialty. In 1997, the institution was re-certified and changed its name to the Open University.
University ranking and benefits of OpenU
OpenU Multidisciplinary University is ranked high in China, namely 9th position. In the international community, it is included in the 2000 best educational institutions. Due to the huge number of training courses and specialties, the university has the most modern library, which includes more than 1.5 million books and publications of various directions in paper and electronic format. It is here that students from nearby educational institutions come for the required book, which may be in a single copy.
Benefits of OpenU University:
- participation in the development and scientific research of forms of education;
- cooperation with other educational institutions of international standard;
- cooperation with scientific organizations and scientific laboratories.
OpenU has a close relationship with Baptist Hospital and Hong Kong Hospital Nursing School. Close cooperation enables medical professionals to improve their knowledge and obtain a specialized diploma.
University Composition and Infrastructure
The educational institution is among the universities with a flexible education system that allows the student to choose the most favorable time for study.
The full composition of the OUHK University:
- about 2,000 teachers, of which more than half are specialists working in scientific institutions;
- more than 20,000 students, of which 20% are foreign students.
The infrastructure of OpenU is quite developed, there are 4 schools on the territory of the institution that offer courses in the field of art and social sciences, business management, science and technology, education and languages, as well as scientific laboratories, lecture halls, a library, sports centers and stadiums, a hostel , cafe, dining room. In addition, the university has modern recording studios.
Admission and tuition fees at OUHK
Admission to an educational institution is carried out on the basis of general performance in the subjects, as well as on the basis of a letter of recommendation from the company from which the student comes. Enrollment takes place after a preliminary interview, where the student can show himself from the best side, despite the general low subject score.
Tuition fees per year:
- Bachelor’s degree ranges from 8,000 to 11,500 USD;
- Master’s degree ranges from 10,000 to 13,000 USD
- Doctoral studies range from USD 30,000 to USD 65,000 per year and are available exclusively to Chinese citizens.
The cost of training is about 11,000 US dollars per year, depending on the chosen direction. Successful students are eligible for statutory grants and scholarships.
Despite the fact that OUHK is self-funded, which indicates a lack of government funding, students are eligible for grants. Legislative grants entitle you to preferential tuition at a discount of 100%, 50% or 20% of the total cost of the course. Thanks to all kinds of events organized by the university, the institution’s income is up to 600 million dollars a year. This fact makes it possible for many students to receive preferential education. In addition, OpenU independently finances more than 40 organizations and student communities in various sports and scientific areas.
The university offers foreign students to study in such areas as:
- Languages and Culture
- Arts and Humanities
- Business and Social Sciences
- Medicine and Medical Equipment
- Medical and other equipment
- 240 courses in different directions
- School of Education and Linguistics
- School of Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Business and Administration (named after Lee Shawki)
- School of Professional, Profile and Postgraduate Education (named after Li Kashin)
OpenU provides all nonresident students with comfortable dormitory accommodation. Accommodation costs range from HK $ 10,000 to HK $ 40,000 per year. Each room contains the necessary set of furniture and accessories for a comfortable stay.