About the university
Location: Xian, China
Official full name – Northwestern Polytechnical University
The traditional name in Chinese is 西北工业大学
Abbreviated – NPU or SZPU
The State Northwest NPU is located in the ancient capital of Xi’an and is a research, multidisciplinary and open educational institution that develops aviation, aerospace and navigation engineering education and scientific research with a focus on engineering and management issues and the coordinated development of governance, literature, economics and rights.
NPU is the only multidisciplinary, research-oriented, open university in China that simultaneously develops talent development and research in the aviation, aerospace and navigation fields (three aviation). He is affiliated with the Ministry of China Industry and Information Technology. Since the founding of New China, Western Industrial University has always been a key institution for nation building.
University ranking and benefits
The multidisciplinary university NPU is traditionally ranked in the top 30 general educational institutions in the PRC and is ranked only 3rd in the field of aviation. This indicates the high quality approach of teachers to the learning process. In the global industry ranking, NPU is ranked 300th in engineering and technology.
Benefits of NPU University:
- active participation in scientific research on a global scale;
- the presence of key laboratories of ministerial importance;
- active cooperation with 150 best institutions in the world.
NPU was one of the first to join Project 211 and Project 985. In 2017, became one of the national “First-class Universities” for the establishment of colleges and schools in category A.
University composition and infrastructure
The campus covers an area of 5,100 m2. There are 17 professional colleges and international schools, educational and experimental centers on the territory. In addition, the institution is famous for its excellent sports training base and has its own basketball team, which is the strongest in the region.
The full composition of the NPU:
- 3,900 teachers of the highest category, most of them specialists from different countries;
- 29,000 students, of which 15% are foreigners.
The institution builds on the legacy of its three predecessors – the Northwest Institute of Engineering, the East China Institute of Aeronautics and the Military Engineering Institute of the People’s Liberation Army. As a result of the fruitful unification, a multidisciplinary national university of the highest category of open type has emerged. Now students from different countries of the world study here.
NPU admission and tuition fees
Admission to the SZPU is made on a general basis stipulated by the legislation of the PRC. The incoming applicant must provide the selection committee with a Certificate for 11 classes and an NSP certificate with an indicator of at least 3 points.
Tuition fees at SZPU per year:
- Bachelor’s degree from 16,000 to 19,000 yuan;
- Master’s degree from 20,000 to 25,500 yuan;
- Doctorate – 35,500 yuan;
- Registration mandatory fee – 400 yuan;
- Insurance premium – 600 yuan;
- Language program – RMB 1,400;
- Study materials cost RMB 800.
Successful admission to the university is 80% of the total number of applicants.
The SZPU institution provides successful students with a loyal form of grants. To receive a legislative grant, 80 points are required, which gives the right not only to free education for a Bachelor’s degree, but also to free accommodation for the first 4 years. Pupils who scored 60 points receive preferential training in three areas in accordance with the IFP profile for general training. In addition, students are awarded government scholarships.
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Aviation and Astronautical Science and Technology
- Science and technology of weapons
- Marine Science and Dynamics
- Computer Science and Technology
- Engineering Mechanics
- Control of science and technology
- Transport technology
- Electronic Science and Technology
- Instrumentation and technology
- Energy and mechanical engineering (Thermophysics)
- Information and communication engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Optical Engineering
- Civil engineering
- Business management
- Foreign languages and literature
- Public administration
- Applied Economics
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Aeronautics and Energy (aerodynamic profile, cascade aerodynamics)
- School of Marine Engineering and Torpedo Control Technology
- School of Astronautics (thermal structure and internal combustion device of solid rocket engine)
- National Defense Institute
- School of Materials Science and Engineering (Study of Ultra-High Temperature Structural Composites)
- School of Mechanical Engineering and Automation
- School of Astronautics (Space Flight Technology)
- School of Software and Microelectronics
- School of Humanities, Economics and Law
- College of Foreign Languages
NPU provides all nonresident students with accommodation on campus in a student residence. The cost of living in a standard single room is 700 RMB per month, in a double room – 500 RMB per person. Pupils who received a grant from the state live for the first 4 years free of charge.