About the university
Location: Nanjing, China
Nanjing University is one of the oldest educational institutions in China and around the world. Over the long years of history, it has gone from a classical imperial institute, where officials and the ruling elite were trained, to a modern and dynamically developing university.
The university was founded in 258, when the first faculty was opened. By the 15th century, about 10,000 people studied here, which is quite a lot by the standards of the Asian Middle Ages. A new page in the history of the institute opened in 1902, when he began to head 9 universities in Nanjing. From that moment to the present, the university has been a stronghold of culture and education throughout the country.
University ranking and benefits
The university occupies a leading place in the country in the disciplines “Astronomy”, “Science of the atmosphere” and “Physics”.
The advantages of Nanjing University include:
- The possibility of admission without knowledge of the Chinese language.
- Availability of medical specialties.
- Assistance in employment after graduation.
- A chance to study in one of the oldest institutions in the world and live in the imperial capital of China – the city of Nanjing.
The university has extensive international connections and provides an opportunity for international exchange. Partner institutions are located all over the world.
Composition and infrastructure
The university is a large educational institution: the number of students is about 50,000 people, more than 10% of them are foreigners who came to China from 70 countries of the world. More than 1,500 teachers work with students.
The university consists of three campuses, with about 50% of the territory occupied by green spaces and parks. In addition to a library, laboratories and research centers, students are provided with sports facilities, cafeterias, a hostel and other facilities that make the process of learning and living in Nanjing much more comfortable.
Admission and tuition fees
Applicants from other countries have the following requirements:
- Reaching the age of 18.
- The presence of a certificate of complete school education.
- HSK-4 certificate – for applicants to the undergraduate level.
- HSK-5 certificate – for applicants to the master’s level.
Language programs involve learning from scratch, i.e. demonstration of knowledge of Chinese is not required for admission.
The cost of training is:
- RMB 9,500 ($ 1,500) per semester for the Intensive Chinese Language Program.
- RMB 19,000 ($ 3,015) per year for an intensive Chinese language program.
- 19,000 – 23,000 RMB ($ 3,015 – $ 3,650) per year – for undergraduate studies in Chinese.
- 40,000 RMB ($ 6,345) per year – for a bachelor’s degree in Medicine in Chinese.
- 23,000 – 46,000 yuan ($ 3650 – $ 7300) per year – for a master’s degree in Chinese.
The price of education depends on the specific program.
The institute offers both its own scholarship programs and participates in state support for students from the Government of the PRC. Financial aid covers all tuition, living and daily expenses, or only part of the curriculum. Detailed conditions can be found on the university website.
Among the educational programs for foreigners stand out:
- Chinese language (intensive), duration – 1 semester or 1 year.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chinese, duration – 4 years.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine in Chinese, duration – 7 years.
- Master’s degree in Chinese, duration – 2.5-3 years.
All programs involve not only theoretical training, but also practical training at leading enterprises, hospitals and research centers in the region.
The university consists of several scientific schools that provide educational services in more than 100 specialties. Among the areas of study are:
- Atmospheric sciences.
- Applied Meteorology.
- Electronic technology.
- Educational technologies.
- Chinese language and literature.
- Fine arts and theater.
This is not a complete list of what you can learn at Nanjing University. For students who have graduated from the bachelor’s degree, it is assumed the opportunity to continue their studies in the master’s and doctoral studies. For those who immediately apply for a master’s degree, a large number of medical specialties are assumed (dentistry, immunology, gynecology, pediatrics, pathology, etc.).
Foreign students are offered comfortable rooms in the hostel. Each room is equipped with air conditioning, telephone, internet connection. There are also kitchens for students, washing machines are installed on the floors.
Accommodation cost is:
- For double occupancy – 50-80 yuan ($ 8 -12.5) per day per person.
- Single room – 90-100 yuan ($ 14-16) per day per person.
Accommodation on the campus is optional, those who wish can rent apartments near the institute.