About the university
Location: Changsha, China
Central Southern University (CSU) is located in Changsha, a famous notable and social city in Central South PRC. CSU was created in April 2000 by combining three separate universities. Southern University is included in the state development projects “211” and “985”.
University ranking and benefits
This university has high Ranking positions. The thirty-third place in the national rating provides the Central-South University with a steady influx of applicants from the local youth. For a university with twenty years of experience, this is a great achievement. Central South University consistently ranks high in the 5 percent of the world’s most prestigious educational institutions.
All faculties are of high quality teaching. Separately, it is necessary to highlight the areas that prepare mathematicians, as well as the faculty for the study of information systems.
The university currently owns 16 national innovation platforms, including 3 national key laboratories, 4 national research centers, 4 national engineering laboratories, 2 national engineering technology research centers, 1 national clinical research center, 1 defense science laboratory, and technology, 1 national platform for the development of engineering and innovation potential.
University composition and infrastructure
CSU covers an area of over 2 square kilometers and includes 6 different buildings. Central South University’s library contains over 4,390,000 volumes. The campus houses academic centers, educational and research buildings, stadiums, standard student residences, activity centers, a swimming pool, a hospital, a bank, a post office, canteens.
More than 33,000 full-time students and 12,000 graduate students attend Central South University. Of the total number of students at the university, there are about 1000 foreign students from all over the world. The ratio of teachers to students is about 1: 8.
Admission and tuition fees
Tuition fees RMB per year in Chinese:
- Bachelor’s degree – 16 thousand, in medical specialties – 32 thousand.
- Master’s degree – 20,000 thousand, in medical specialties – 26 thousand.
- Tuition fees RMB per year in English:
- Master’s degree – 25 thousand, in medical specialties – 35 thousand.
- The cost of intensive Chinese language courses for 1 year is 14,000 yuan.
Also, grant programs are provided for foreign students:
- Annual Chinese courses – tuition is free, accommodation is 5000 RMB per year,
- Free undergraduate and graduate studies and accommodation, with monthly scholarships of 2000 and 2500 yuan respectively
In addition, there are other scholarship options, as the university has a number of partnerships and exchange programs with other universities around the world.
CSU offers 83 undergraduate majors, 282 master’s degrees and 142 doctoral programs. The duration of training takes from 3 to 5 years at each stage, depending on the faculty.
Specialties of training:
- Literature and journalism
- international languages
- Architecture and art
- business school
- Faculty of Law
- public administration
- Mathematics and statistics
- Physics and electronics
- Chemistry and chemical engineering
- Mechanical engineering and electrical engineering
- Energy science and technology
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Research Institute of Powder Metallurgy
- Road transport engineering
- civil engineering
- Metallurgy and the environment
- Geoscience and Environmental Engineering
- Info-Physics and Geomatics
- Resources and safety
- Mineral processing and bioengineering
- Computer science and technology
- Xiang-ya Medical School
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- health care
- Basic Medical Sciences
- School of Natural Sciences
- Scientific Research Department of Physical Education
- School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- School of Ophthalmology Aier
The university also has its own comfortable hostels to accommodate students in each of the 6 campus buildings.