About the university
Location: Qingdao, China
Official full name – Ocean University of China
The traditional name in Chinese is 中國 海洋 大學
Abbreviated – OUC or Haida
State Oceanic University of China is a comprehensive academic institution with strengths in oceanography and fisheries science. OUC consists of three campuses (Yushan, Fushan, Laoshan), which are located in Qingdao, Shandong province. The institution is under the direct control of the State Ministry of Education, therefore its students have been awarded grants and scholarships.
Haida University was established in 1924 as a private Qingdao University. In 1930, it was renamed the Qingdao Branch of Shandong University and included the College of Science and the College of Literature. The biggest transformation of academic subjects began in 1959, when the marine science departments of other universities, including Fudang University and Xiamen University, were transferred to Qingdao. In January 1988, it was renamed Ocean University of Qingdao. In October 2002, it was renamed Ocean University of China Superior Category.
University ranking and benefits
Haida is ranked high in China and is among the top 50 universities in the country. In the international sense, it is included in the 1000 best universities.
Benefits of studying at the OUC:
- high achievements in the field of the marine industry;
- joint development and research with global companies;
- participation in the PROJECT 211 program;
- is one of 39 universities that make up Project 985.
OUC has a number of research institutions at the national level, including the National Laboratory of Marine Science and Technology, China Marine Development Research Center, and the National Marine Pharmaceutical Engineering Research Center. The university implements an open education policy and implements an internationally oriented strategy. To date, he has established partnerships with over 240 universities and research institutes in over 37 countries and regions. In 2005, the International Association of Marine Resource Organizations was founded, with new members and joint programs that continue to participate in its ranks every year.
University composition and infrastructure
With more than 70 laboratories for teaching and experimenting with the distinctive features of marine science, OUC boasts an advanced learning environment and complete special equipment. The university owns the 3,500-ton research vessel Dong Fang Hong 2, where teaching and research is carried out. A database of foreign languages for oceanography and fisheries has been created at the university library.
The full composition of the university:
- 2 800 teachers, of which more than 60% are doctors of science, specialized specialists and scientists;
- 39,500 students, of which about 900 are foreigners.
Because the OUC is ocean-centric, the goal of its development is to create a high-level institution with strength in oceanography and fisheries, and to lay the foundation for world-class science-based research.
Admission and tuition fees
Admission to the OUC is based on comprehensive assessments from the previous place of study. Since the university is a promising educational institution, the percentage of applicants for a Bachelor’s degree is one third of all applicants.
Tuition fees at Haida:
- Bachelor’s degree – 3000-5000 USD;
- Master’s degree – 5000-6000 USD;
- independent contribution – RMB 800;
- registration fee is 600 yuan.
Admission to the Bachelor’s degree implies age restrictions, that is, the applicant must be no more than 45 years old.
OUC State University offers preferential tuition to successful students on grants provided. The one-time subsidiary subsidy is RMB 1,500 per month. The tuition and living allowance is between 1,400 and 2,000 yuan per month. To take advantage of legislative grants, you must apply online in advance.
- Ocean Science and Fisheries
- Marine economics and management
- Legal Sciences
- Marine management
- Geographic Information Science and Technology
- College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
- College of Computer Science and Engineering
- College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- College of Marine Geological Sciences
- College of Marine Life Sciences
- Fishing Center
- College of Food Science and Technology
- School of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Engineering Center
- College of Environmental Science and Technology
- College of Management
- School of Economics
- College of Foreign Languages
- Center for Liberal Arts, Journalism and Communication
- School of Law and Political Science
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- Learning Center for Fundamental Courses
Haida University provides all nonresident students with accommodation in a student dormitory, which is formed by the type of apartments. The cost of living depends on the chosen campus, number and type of room. The average cost ranges from RMB 700-1500 per month.